Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Open letter to the City Manager and the City Council members and staff

Lady and Gentlemen:

I write today to inquire about several questions which I hope can be addressed either in writing or in person. I have stayed largely out of the dustup over Gary Person's dual role in the city government and I intend to reserve further comment pending the budget discussions later this year.  I would like the contents of this letter entered into the council minutes as public comment and respectfully request council to do so.

Dual roles aside, I think that the writer of the letter has a few valid questions with respect to:
1.    Were there specific questions as to professional conduct, of either illegal or unethical nature that led to the resignation of the Chief of Police?
2.    Are city employees forbidden to talk to council members without approval of the city manager to any such conduct?
3.    Does the council code of conduct forbid/discourage the conduct of Councilman Gaston as expressed at last council meeting (as reported in the, "Sidney Citizen?"
4.    Does any city employee have knowledge of a financial shortfall due to a planned economic development refund requests by local business(es)?
5.    What is the nature of the relationship between the city attorney, the City Manager and the City Council? Who represents the interests of the City Manager, and why must City Council must retain external council to address specific concerns.

I am not asking questions with a particular agenda, I just have questions and I respectfully ask that the City Council and City Manager address each question in public.

Respectfully,

Michael Rowland

No comments:

Post a Comment