Sunday, September 20, 2009

VT comes from behind to break the Huskers

With 2 minutes left in the game I had resigned myself to the knowledge that the un-spectacular play of the VT offense would mean another loss for them. Two of my friends called my phone and left me voice-mail about how there was a new fight song and something about a tunnel walk.

Their exuberance was understandable. VT, whose defense had held without giving up a touchdown for only the second time since 2007, couldn't drive the ball on the other side of the field. Ndamukong Suh (I heard his name more than Tyrod Taylor's) and the Blackshirts were harassing and pushing the Tech offensive line around. The Husker Defense was giving as good as its offense was taking.

Despite a career day from Roy Helu Jr. (166 yards), Husker Quarterback Zach Lee could not put it in the end-zone without a penalty. Late in the 3rd quarter, Lee completed a pass tight end Todd McNeill, but the play was negated on a holding penalty. Earlier in the game another opportunity to score in the end zone was ruled an incomplete catch because the receiver did not maintain possession of the ball. I thought he actually had it, but college rule that allows one foot to count is amended to include control of the ball throughout the play.

On a side note, I was just about to pick up my phone and call my friend Mike Merrit when VT launched a pass down the right sideline to Danny Coale. I could not believe what I was seeing as the ball hit the receiver in stride and Coale took off down the line in what would end up being an 81 yard pitch and catch, the glumness in my soul was lit up like a box of roman candles on the fourth of July. My joy rapidly faded when Taylor almost immediately took an 8 yard sack. It looked like the life had finally sputtered out of the Hokie offense, yet again this young season.

Facing a 3rd and goal from the 11 yard line, Taylor took the snap and pulled left. The Husker defense appeared to have everyone covered and the oppressive Blackshirt Defensive line began to close the gap in on the struggling Taylor. Sensing his eminent doom, Taylor shifted back to the right and his right tackle landed a solid isolating block that sprung him free from Suh and he continued the play to the right.

Taking advantage of the ray of light, the Tech receivers broke into what what is called a scramble drill. In a play that seemed to last forever (I suppose 9 seconds is the football equivalent of forever), Taylor threw a dagger pass to Dyrell Roberts who was covered like a glove by Husker Prince Amukamara (21), and to my disbelieving eyes, the ref's hands when up in what must have been a heart-wrenching site for the HuskerNation. Touchdown!

I am surprised that the Police and Rescue squads didn't make a safety call at my house. My blood pressure was through the roof and I was screaming like I had just won the lottery. My girlfriend's dog (a 3 month old boxer puppy) was hiding behind the coffee table like she had done something wrong (based on the shouting and yelling I was doing). I just couldn't believe that VT pulled it off.

My perspective on the game is that neither team really deserved to win. Nebraska's lack of ability to securely punch the ball in from the red zone coupled with drive killing mistakes that took a first and goal situation to a punt from the 37 yard line coupled with Coach Pelini's arrogance in the belief that his defense would stop a sputtering VT Offense instead of taking the 4th and 1 opportunity that would have sealed the deal for the Huskers, allowed a sputtering VT offense to stay in the game.

Exciting as the finish was (for the second year in a row), it still bemoans the fact that neither team is particularly good. There are stud players on both teams to be sure, but the intangibles that give a team its swagger are not quite there yet. Years of bad decisions have put NU football in a rebuilding year and Pelini has done a lot to get them ready. Beating up on the first two opponents might have been good for the player's morale, but fundamentally, they still need a receiving corp that can extend the work of Helu (who will be playing in the NFL some day). NU still hasn't faced a solid offense and it begs the question whether they will be fresh in the face of the Big 12's elite teams the must face this year.

VT has the elements... A strong(but not elite) receiving corp and a good quarterback (Not as good as he thinks) and a strong defense that needs to improve run stop capability. The lack of consistency in their play, combined with the Husker inability to put the game away on numerous opportunities led to a dismal showing for both teams. VT looks to face a resurgent Miami Hurricane team that is looking for revenge at being kicked out of the ACC Title game two years in a row.

In the end, it came down to one broken play and a lucky strike. It was definitely an exciting game, just as the game was last year (except last year, I felt like VT kept leaving the door open for a fired up NU Offense). The win or loss only affected the change at national title implications, which no one believes either team had a serious change. Both teams have not played like they should be in the top 25 and I have serious misgivings about the AP poll and its politics.

I am an adoptive son of Nebraska and though you may have seen me running around with my Hokie hat or jersey on, I pull for the Huskers in every game that doesn't affect VT. They are well on their way back to being a powerhouse football team worthy of the respect they earned as National Champions, while VT still seeks its second chance to make a first impression. VT is 0 for life against top 5 opponents and that has to be changed before they can seriously consider a run at the crystal ball. Before that happens, they have to win the ACC. Florida State's decimation of BYU and Miami's resurgent play will make that nearly impossible this year for the Hokies, how will have to play Miami next week.

Mike Rowland

2 comments:

  1. Nice breakdown of the game. I guess we can still be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... Tell others to feel free to look at the site and to make suggestions...I appreciate the feedback

    ReplyDelete