Saturday, September 26, 2009

Va Tech Hokies NU Huskers Wrap-Up

When I was looking around for some wrap up info, I ran across some information from the Virginia Tech Sports Information Department.

Va. Tech has a program called HokiesRespect and its goal is to provide a competitive and respectful experience for visiting teams. NU has a solid reputation for above and beyond sportsman on and off the field and their fans put on ague-ably one of the best Tailgate hosting areas anywhere in the NCAA. Va. Tech is also known for its tailgating and its response to fans and below are some of the comments that Husker Fans. Having experienced many tailgates at many stadiums. I have first hand knowledge of how fine the fans at NU are. It is nice to see that a good game, even if it results in a loss, can still have the kind of respect display by both fans.

Congratulations to the Husker nation for having some of the finest fans in the country.

Here is what they had to say about Va. Tech. Thanks HuskerNation!

"Speaking of Tech fans, I cannot give them enough credit for being some of the most gracious opposing team hosts I have ever met. I did an interview with a local sports radio station and complimented them on the hospitality of the Tech fans. Walking into the game, I enjoyed the dialogue of a Husker fan telling a Tech fan in jest “Don’t give me any more beer! I can’t handle another Tech fan inviting me to their tailgate.” I would love to get another home-and-home series with them. I can’t tell you how many Tech fans came up to me after the game saying they felt lucky to win and were happy to get the win against Nebraska."

"I have been to quite a few away football games for Nebraska and other destinations. After undergrad in the Big 12 and professional school in the Big 10, ACC and SEC, I have traveled to a fair share of the FBS/BCS stadiums. In all my travels, and all the experiences … the Virginia Tech fans were the most hospitable of any – bar none. It is the closest experience to Lincoln in terms of fan friendliness that I have seen. Their fans were gracious and were as helpful as any."

"I am a Nebraskan currently living in Somerset, Pa. I attended the VT-Nebraska game on the 19th. Actually, we were in Blacksburg Friday night at the Sidetrack show at Awful Arthur’s, and arrived at the stadium to tailgate at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday. I have never been treated so well at an away game. Hokie fans are a class act. Nebraska fans are also well known for treating visiting fans well in Lincoln. Many Hokie fans mentioned their experience in Lincoln last year, and hoped that we would be treated the same way in Blacksburg. We were.

"At the game, I noticed Virginia Tech’s campaign to promote respect for visiting fans, teams and coaches. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I was.

Thank you Virginia Tech, for this experience.

Okay, there was one little problem … the final score!

I hope the two teams can meet again soon."

VT sports info attributes such nice statements to the unsurpassed hospitality afforded Hokie players and fans last year in Lincoln. I tailgated with Tom and Colleen Dorwart, Brian Hilgenfeld, Tyler Horning and many long term season ticket holders. I can only add that never have I seen a team's fans embrace and welcome those in the opposing teams colors as one of their own. It was an unforgettable experience.

I wish the Huskers continued success as they enter the meat of their schedule next week. Who knows, maybe we will see each other yet again this year or early next in one of the season's ending bowls.

Mike Rowland

No comments:

Post a Comment