Friday, February 19, 2010

The lie of the Tiger

"I was wrong. I was foolish. I don't get to play by different rules. The same boundaries that apply to everyone apply to me. I brought this shame on myself. I hurt my wife, my kids, my mother, my wife's family, my friends, my foundation, and kids all around the world who admired me."

These words and more were spoken by a visibly shaken Tiger Woods today as he read from a prepared statement in front of a live camera this morning in Florida.


Those words were part of an explanation the 14 time PGA Major Title holder used to begin addressing the atonement to those impacted by revelations of multiple infidelities since his marriage to his wife

In dealing with the circumstances of his infidelities, Woods said, "My failures have made me look at myself in a way I never wanted to before."

In a voice that often quavered, Woods spoke of a kind of invincibility that fame and money afforded him and how he thought he was somehow entitled to things not allowed others. He spoke distractions of these things and how it took him away from his Buddhist religious upbringing and he apologized for that failing.

Of Buddhism, Woods said, "a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint. Obviously, I lost track of what I was taught."


Woods had worked diligently over the years to keep his family life out of the spotlight. He spoke of the lengths he and his wife went to not expose their two children to the media. He implored the media to stop following his family and even his children to school.

Of the process he and his wife are going through Woods said. "Elin and I have started the process of discussing the damage caused by my behavior. As Elin pointed out to me, my real apology to her will not come in the form of words; it will come from my behavior over time. We have a lot to discuss. However, what we say to each other will remain between the two of us."

Though he did not take any questions during the 15 minute event, Woods, did make reference to two issues. He denied ever using performance enhancing drugs, and that his wife Elin did not attack him or his vehicle with a golf club as had been reported after the incident on Thanksgiving night last year. Woods also added that no episodes of domestic violence had ever occurred in his marriage.

"Elin has shown enormous grace and poise throughout this ordeal. Elin deserves praise, not blame," said Woods.

Woods also addressed the impact of his behavior on his business partners, noting, "considerable worry" felt by them, as well as people associated with his foundation members and even young students.  He stated that the efforts he and his father began years ago to help children realize their dreams through education would continue and grow.

"I know that I have bitterly disappointed all of you. I have made  you question who I am and how I have tone the things I did, " said Woods

Woods took responsibility for his affairs. "I owe it to my family to become a better person. I owe it to those closest to me to become a better man. That's where my focus will be. I have a lot of work to do, and I intend to dedicate myself to doing it," he said

Woods said that he will go back for additional therapy and he thank those who have offered him support and encouragement. Of his fans and supporters, Woods closed his remarks by saying, "Today, I want to ask for your help. I ask you to find room in your heart to one day believe in me again."

3 comments:

  1. A Sun-Telegraph letter to the editor mentioned how noble it was for three teenagers to take the consequences of punishment for admitting their wrongdoing.

    From the video I saw of Tiger Woods, I think I can say that he genuinely appeared sorry for all of the negative impacts his actions caused everyone, especially his family.

    Though he should not be required to apologize to anyone, save his family, his desire to openly apologize to us all is a good first step in putting his life back in the kind of order worthy of maintaining his marriage. I wish him well that he finds the balance he wishes to find and that he and his family have the peace and opportunity to heal.

    Michael Rowland, Publisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Tiger will have some challenges yet before him. Gloria Alred, celebrity lawyer and money sucker extraordinaire is now discussing text messages Woods sent to her client.

    I am of the belief that when a married spouse gets into a relationship outside the bounds of marriage, that is all on them. When someone such as Alred's client knowingly and willingly enters into such a relationship, she is entitled to nothing as she is as guilty as Woods was.

    That is kind of the problem with society today. People violate laws or morality and then expect someone else to apologize to them for their their feelings getting hurt. George Carlin said that those who complain about the needs not being met, need...fewer needs.

    Perhaps Alred's client should have fewer feelings, or find the ones that might cause her to apologize to Woods' wife and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some states where Elin would be able to sue these women for alienation of affection.

    ReplyDelete