Thursday, February 11, 2010

House Divided, Again

 Publisher's Note: This is a letter I sent to the Sun-Telegraph Publisher and editor today in response to a skewed article by Klark Byrd.  I am publishing it here, because as someone once wrote, I know it will get published.

With respect to Klark Bryd's article in Thursday's Sun-Telegraph, I would like to point out an error.

Julie Young listed a point as Council Interference with City Employees as a topic for discussion. Having filed a Freedom of Information Act request, she knew which council member(s) had requested information on city employees, or more accurately, positions of several city employees. She had this knowledge going into the meeting and yet she accused all councilmen of seeking to obtain the personnel files of Mike Palmer and at least one other employee, who was not named.  Bryd also stated that I requested his file which was revealed to be false.  I sought to obtain the job description for Mr. Palmer due to subject matter comments placed on this site that stated he was the target of retribution, a serious charge, if true. It was done through city channels and was approved for release by outside legal council the city employs for such matters.

Through discussion, it was revealed that Bob Van Vleet had inquired about how Palmer's position had been developed in the electrical department from Jordan Ball. Further explanation was provided by Gary Person about the need to have some control over the high turnover rate in the electric crew and the lead position that is held by Palmer was created for that purpose. Mike Palmer has more than 10 years experience with the city. The job Description requirements for the crew lead are pretty involved and the city would certainly be liable for harm that might come to Mr. Palmer, were he unqualified to do the job.

The paper, fails to clearly state that Ms. Young was incorrect in her assertion as to the kind of material requested by A councilman and as such, paints a broader negative image over the whole of the city council, who is increasingly under heavy pressure for positions taken by several of its members recently. Does it appear strange that Bob Van Vleet would ask for information about a city employee who spoke at a meeting, when the comments were innocuous? Maybe. Was it retribution as Young's question implied? I think not.

Young said she wants there to be an open government and I think it is fair to say that we all want a high degree of transparency in what our officials are doing. Disclosure forms not being signed, asking for job information and other activities that create an appearance of not being above board do create an air of mistrust, but let's make a point of being better citizens and doing our part to ensure these men are doing the right thing. When we fail to attend meetings, or to challenge something that is or seems to be incorrect, we are just as culpable as the rest. Let us try to work with the council and educate them to be better men on our behalf, instead of looking down every dark road to insinuate evil deeds, while praising how much you appreciate what they have given.

Michael Rowland

Publisher's Note: I would like to point out that I am not defending any person, or any action by making my statement herein. If someone has done something illegal, they should be held accountable and be fired, or step down as the case may warrant. There are a group of people walking around town presently whispering very serious charges about sitting councilmen. I hope they are either wrong or exaggerating. If they are right, I will stand with them and demand the immediate resignation of any person, public or private who is involved.

 

4 comments:

  1. Mike-
    You are correct. Had I been allowed to finish I would have stated you asked for his job description. You and I both went looking for information because of rumors. Had I been allowed to get that out I would have. And I did use the wrong words. It was job description about that city employee. The mistake was not done with malice. And it truly was hard to stand up and speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take you at your word that you did not mean to use the words you did. You should have retracted them, or corrected the record as soon as you could have. I think your comments herein are sufficient, in my opinion, and will leave the issue up to others to decide for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    There is something I’m having trouble getting my head around about last Tuesdays council mtg. You and I spoke before the mtg. to talk about a couple of issues. When the subject came up about my employment with the City, you told me flat out, that you had know idea what I did for the City. But during the mtg. you stood up and said all you asked for regarding me was my job description. Why did you feel it necessary not to tell me the truth? I wouldn’t have cared!

    If people would just be honest about what their motives are it would be a lot better for all parties included. Say it like it is! Stand up for what you believe in!

    In the end we may agree to disagree, but at least we know what one another is thinking and we can have some real debate on the issues rather than just rumors. I can respect someone who stand up for what they think and states their point of view rather than hides behind the truth especially under the cover of an anonymous name.

    Sincerely,
    Mike Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    What I said before the meeting was that I had no idea of what you did for the city. I am pretty sure that I said that with and referenced that was before the accusations that you were being targeted by others.

    You will notice that prior to the meeting Tuesday, I did not make any reference to or about you. Obtaining your job description was done to fill in back story requirements as related to the accusations you were being targeted.

    I do not feel I hid anything from you or anyone else. If you have that perception, please consider this an apology.

    Michael Rowlamd

    ReplyDelete