Sunday, February 28, 2010

Keeping things on track

I had the chance last weekend to go on a snowshoe outing with friends. It marked the second annual event to play in the snow.  This year's spirit cleanse was found on Rabbit Ear's Pass, just outside of Steamboat Springs, Col.

While on the sojourn, I came across some cross country ski tracks left by people trying to get over a hill. It caused me to think about my present situation in a way I hadn't appreciated before.
The second day of the trek told me that all of the time I had spent on the elliptical machine at the community center had helped improve my stamina, but there is a difference still in what I would like to do and what I could do. About a quarter mile into the trek, I had to turn around because the burn in my legs just wouldn't allow me to keep up with the Olympic pace my friends were engaged in. I decided to take a leisurely pace back and appreciate the calm and quiet of a trail that told me more about where I was going just by seeing where I had come from.

Cross-country skiing can be very rewarding exercise. Part of the rush is in surmounting the obstacles the trail or open country presents. You feel a sense of accomplishment when you get to the end or, as the chicken would say, "the other side." Flat terrain or downhill sections that are easy to navigate give way to hilly sections that require the skier to, "duck walk" up the hill with the skis pointed outward.

The technique allows the grooves on the bottom of the ski to, "bite" into the snow and hold the position of the leg steady enough to lift the other leg up to repeat the process until the obstacle has been surmounted. The work can be intense and even be painful to the best conditioned person, sometimes to the point of quitting. When you get to the top and you push off to better terrain, you feel that in the end,  the challenge the trail confronted you with, that your perseverance and dedication allowed you to benefit from the experience.

I didn't really notice the tracks on the way up the hill. The sky was overcast and snow that had been falling for two days worked to obscure the interlocking v-shapes.  On the way back, the clouds had subsided to the point that some sunlight was poking through. It was just enough to contrast the v-shapes against the outline of snowshoe tracks. Though no one was left to tout the accomplishments of those who left their silent marks in the snow, they clearly said to anyone who came after, "Here are the tracks of success...follow them."

At that moment, I had a small epiphany.

Sixteen months ago, I left Cabela's as part of a reduction in force, brought about by the economic conditions we are all too familiar with. Despite an established record of success and respect, my job fell under the budget cutter's axe. You can't blame a company for doing what it feels is the best thing under a given set of circumstances. I have always maintained that while I disagreed with their specific choice of me, it was their right and I continue to bear them no ill-will.

For myself, the obstacle I have been climbing has been much steeper than that taken by the skiers who joined me on that hill so many months ago. I have done many things to keep my mind focused and sharp. I have remained engaged but I have to be honest, it gets tougher everyday. I often wonder when I will get to the top, but thankfully I do not make the trek alone.

I am sincerely thankful for people who have supported me and given me words of encouragement since the day I first saw my hill. People burdened by their own circumstances have extended offers of assistance and I am especially grateful to a few unnamed individuals for the emotional support offered.

Hundreds of resumes later, the economy is beginning to show signs of life and positions at my experience level are beginning to open up. I have been told the best way to secure employment in this tough economy isn't just to fly resumes out of the printer, but to extend and build networking relationships with those around you. The importance of working with the people you come into contact with can be instrumental years down the road.

Upon reflection of those tracks in the snow, I see two themes. The first is to appreciate what you have to the point that you keep yourself in shape for the hills you have to climb. The other one is to appreciate where you have come from and to know that where you have traveled will greatly assist you in choosing a path leading to success. Painful as this hill has been, I am so much the better for not turning around, not quitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment