Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Open Door Policy

You may have noticed that I have not been writing very much lately. It isn't that I have given up on the people of Sidney, but rather the result of open doors and closing doors that brings me to today's resumption of theguardiannews.

When I was promoted to customer with Cabela's in late 2008, I had just purchased a new truck, a mortgage payment (25% of which was property tax) and various other bills one has. Thankfully, I did not have much in the way of credit card debt and my financial situation was easy enough to manage at that time.

The length of the recession dragged out and the lack of job opportunities in IT in this area caused me to look farther afield that the dust bowl that is Sidney on this day. I say dust bowl not in a disparaging way, but a factual, look out the window, kind of way. I have had numerous site and job interviews since the beginning of this year, but to tell you the truth, I was hoping that something would open back up in Sidney, either with my previous employer, or some other larger company in the area.

The long and the short of it is that there just haven't been the kind of job opportunities available yet that would consider someone with 15 plus years experience. I have fallen into the career doughnut hole where I have too much experience for entry/mid level work and not enough strategic experience for director work (for the companies I have interviewed with so far.)

For the last two weeks, I have actually been packing up my household goods and moving them into storage and myself into a smaller, check that, more cozy place. That work is now complete and I can turn my attention back to seeking full time employment and writing for my sanity check. And yes, I am continuing to work on theguardiannews.

The remainder of this week, I will be publishing my interview with Zane Hall and Tamara Nelsen, as well as a summary of the Candidate Forum, held last night at Sidney High School's Fine Arts auditorium (quite a nice place by the way). Next week, I hope to have some important news to announce about staff additions and funding for this effort as we begin the change in earnest toward a full service EZine publication. I am thankful for those who have continued to look in on the site and apologize for not having more content out there these last couple weeks. Rest assured that more will be forthcoming and the breadth of the material will reach out to a wide variety of interests.

As always, I thank you, the readers, for your support, encouragement and continued patronage. Let me know how I can better serve the needs of your community as an independent and provocative voice on the issues and events of importance to you.

Sincerely,

Michael Rowland
Publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment