Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hume, "touched, honored" by choice of the voters

Gradually assuming the many of the duties of the Clerk of the Cheyenne County District Court was a challenge that Republican challenger Debra Hume readily accepted as the retiring Edith Baumbaugh began to transition away from some of the tasks during the last several years. That effort, however, was small by comparison to the amount of effort it took to get into the campaign to hold the seat  Baumbaugh vacated earlier this year.  It took more than words of encouragement from her husband Rick and all of her friends. It took coaxing from her mother.

"She believed in me," said Hume.  When prayer and encouragement from some of her closest friends seemed to not be enough, her mother told her, ""She told me, Debra, you run,""

Wanting to run for a political office can be daunting for a first time candidate.  In fact, after the Cheyenne County Commissioners appointed Volkmer, Hume questioned her willingness to run at all. Wanting to advance one's career by appealing to those whom are served can be intimidating and Hume gives credit to those people closest to her for giving her the courage to put her hat in the ring.

"I have a lot of ladies and gentlemen who stepped up and put their faith in me," said Hume.

Her mother's advice, coupled with those around her turned out to be solid for Hume, who secured the Republican nomination with a strong showing in the election, winning by approximately 300 votes over the appointed incumbent Volkmer. The results may have surprised some people in Cheyenne County, but Hume was not surprised by the results.

We worked hard," she said. "We had a lot of good supporters who walked the streets and put signs up." Hume said that the support that received from volunteers, family and friends gave her a sense of strength and hope. Several times she commented on how prayer and the love of her family helped her to keep a positive attitude.

Campaigning took Hume and many of her supporters out of their comfort zones. "Most of us had never been door to door before, but they believed in me ...  put their faith in me. I feel honored."

Volkmer, who currently holds the position that Hume will most likely assume early next year, remains as the District Court Clerk by virtue of her appointment. Whether any early transition of some duties will happen is up to Volkmer, according to Hume.  "I totally respect the position and I will do what I need to do," she said. "A lot of that (the duties to be passed along) is up to Deanna, but I have done many of those tasks for quite a while, but we will see what happens."

The impact of the primary race results is still sinking in on Hume. "I am very touched that I got the votes I got," she said. "I am proud that people stood up for what they believed in me, and that they went out of their comfort zone. I am very blessed."

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed getting out and talking with people and getting support for Debra. It was a very rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete