Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pepsi thinks you need some help in the dating department.

Billy, a somewhat nerdy guy, who has trouble getting a date. It seems that he just stumbles all the time trying to find the right things to say to his potential dream dates. If only he could find his Cyrano De Bergerac to hide in the weeds and feed him the lines and other tidbits of information, he could somehow score the right girl and be the envy of his Dungeons and Dragons club.

Have no fear Bill... Pepsi has the answer to your late night praying over a candle sessions to help you land that prom date you've always wanted.
Pepsi, noted mostly for the soft drink is home to a wide assortment of brands, including Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and other drink brands such as AMP energy drinks. Seeking to leverage off the cocaine like addiction nerds and others have for the AMP drink, Pepsi has taken a tongue in cheek approach to the old story about a man who hides in the bushes to give his friend the right words to say by creating the free IPhone app "Amp up before you score," a free application for IPhone and IPod Touch devices.

Though I am happily involved with someone, I wanted to see if I could, improve my relationship. I downloaded the application  from the ITunes App Store, which is part of the ITunes application in order to review my potential areas of improvement.

The application loads a little slow, which I guess just builds the anticipation. There are 24 types of women to choose from. Conveniently laid out in alphabetical form, making it easier for my semi-obsessive-compulsive need to organize data for dating, I had choices from aspiring acresses to Women's studies majors. Other interesting types such as military chick, political girl and out of your league were options (I though almost every girl was out of a nerd's league, but I digress). I stayed away from the trouble girl and the married woman because my momma raised me right, but....I will have to peak at them for... scientific study... a man must be thorough to get an accurate report.

Since I have high hopes... I started with the Out of your league category. Tapping on the cartoonish art, reminiscent of a simplicity pattern package from the 70's, i was instructed to tap the portrait to flip to the information that would enlighten my mind and my approach. The text description underneath did not give me pause for comfort. Reading, "Don't look at us-this is a lost cause," it did give me a choice to look at. "Hail Mary Passes." The first item was a sentence that should work. "I hate how the bartenders only serve the hot girls and don't pay attention to the rest of us, right?" or.. "Where's the men's room", or one sure to work, "Hey, I know you, you are the Middleweight Women's Champion of the world!"

Clearly, not the best advice for me, so I decided to look at something more achievable. the Nerd. Here is a line sure to grab her attention at the local comic book shop. "Don't you hate it with they call them Comic Books? They're Graphic Novels." Or how about the one that goes, "Wasn't I in Space Camp with you?" That is a sure fire way to score in this category. BTW... the application actually tells you where you are likely to find your true love with real time google maps at their favorite hang outs, such as the aforementioned comic shop. Sorry Sidney, you didn't make the list, so its Cheyenne or bust...

The application is clearly meant as a joke and to be honest, it is kind of funny, even if off color. Some people have already complained that the app is demeaning to women, but let's be honest, it's a joke people. Even the most hard core nerd would be cementing his lack of social standing if he went into the comic shop and, with IPhone in hand, attempt to use any of the lines contained in the App.

All joking aside, I probably would not want my 14 year old son to use the app due to some objectionable areas such as married women and the ability to look up local hotels. You are given a warning prior to download that the application does contain some objectionable content so parents do what you should be doing and be aware. I seriously doubt that any reasonable adult would think this App is a useful tool, but teens are much more impressionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment