Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You're not quite there yet ...

Last night's City Council meeting didn't offer up any surprise. No conflict with the agenda, no lengthy question and answer session, no complaints about council interference with city personnel, no fireworks at all. It was one of the most calm and effective meetings I had seen in quite a while.

There was something different about the meeting though. It reminded me of the holidays of my youth. You know the kind where family gathers around to hear stories about all that has happened since the last time they had seen each other. One holiday specifically came to mind, including one particular activity: Thanksgiving dinner.
Acting on a formal inquiry from the, "traditional media," A councilman directed the City Manager to research how those who report themselves as media are accommodated at city council meetings. Person would not tell me who complained, nor who the councilman was, but the long and short of it was that, alternative media such as blog writers, those who don't have FCC licenses and paid circulation of a certain amount are not typically considered, "media," and would not be accommodated at the big table.


To be fair, the City Manager tried to email me of the change as a courtesy before the meeting, but I didn't check email until just before the meeting. When I arrived, I went to the spot where I had been challenged to an arm-wrestling match for a seat the previous council meeting and I became confused. On the table where as many as four publications or outlets had sit for at least six months, there were now only two chairs, with little placards taped to the table. The place cards simply read, "Sun-Telegraph," and "KSID Radio."

On the right side of the council chambers, where the front row used to sit, now sits a table with three chairs. In an effort to accommodate the upstart members of the new media, the City Manager and Mayor wanted to make sure that those who wanted to report on public matters had a place to write or type, but they had to be separate, yet equal.

The situation reminded me of the kid's table at Thanksgiving dinner. Clearly with all the adults in the family, there wasn't enough room at the main dining table to sit everyone. But since you can't starve the kids, you brought out the card table and plopped them down so they could participate in the feast.

"Someday," we were told, "when you are all grown up, you can sit at the big table with us." But then, as now, I have to sit with the red-headed step-children (of which I am proud to be one anyway).

I want to be clear about something, lest I receive a ton of hate comments. I really don't care that I can't sit at the big table. The only reason I sat there before was due to the fact that I wanted to capture photos and I got their early to get the best position. I thought that was what one did in reporting the news. I also found it mildly arrogant when I was asked why I was in a reporter's seat, to which I replied something about the early bird and all.

Having a table makes things easier to write and take notes on and frankly I do appreciate the gesture. What I do not appreciate is the arrogance that someone in the so-called traditional media would presume to feel an ownership of position and that they are the only voice the town should have. The media world is evolving and most anyone can be a publisher. I don't have a paid circulation nor do I have an FCC license, and according to Person's definition, I am not worthy to sit with the grown up media.

The arrogance that was displayed to me in words two weeks ago, followed by the class distinction delivered last night were the kind of justification I used in deciding to use my abilities to cover things from a different perspective. I am more pointed in my critique and less likely to just play ball. I have also been fair to all. Gary Person also told me last night that he appreciated the objectivity in my writing and that gave me a measure of satisfaction, even as he passed the gravy.

I write to satisfy my own curiosity and to help bring a story from perspective not often done in the other media. It isn't an axe to grind, or a thumb in the eye to anyone, yet some how, it has been seen as a threat. Person also said that maybe one day, with all the changes happening with technology, and enough time doing what I am doing, that I could somehow make it to the big table. Wouldn't that be swell? More turkey?

That maybe so. Until then, I will have to be content with capturing the best of the back of people's heads at council meetings and wait for my parents to bring me dark meat off the bird. Sitting at the kid's table wasn't so bad back then. The promises of my parents did come true and I eventually did move up to their table, and even one of my own.


The complaint that led to the separation of tables was a victory of sorts for the paper and the radio station. It doesn't stop a different view from covering what they don't. In fact this publication was borne out of the historic narrowness in the view reported by the traditional media. I have tried to be neutral and objective in my writing for the most part and I think I am reasonably successful in my attempts to cover the news items displayed here. May I have a piece of pumpkin pie?

I am grateful for the support and feedback those of you have given me and your readership is important as well. It isn't the place you eat that matters much as the company you keep while eating. I find more in common with the audience that the traditional media and I am grateful that I at least have a table to sit my gear down on.

1 comment:

  1. ...passing a piece of pie........
    Don't sweat the small stuff, you keep hammering away. You do a great job getting the facts out there. It's a new world, and technology is moving faster than the humans. Soon they should catch up. Some don't understand that blogs are the "new coffee shop" we have opinions and questions. Would you like some whip cream with that pie?

    ReplyDelete